Thursday 1 August 2013

Recipe - Beetroot & Chilli Burger (aka 'red white & blue burger')...

Just as I had started making these - boing! I realised it was Tuesday night, 7pm and #veganhour on Twitter - and not wanting to miss it, yet again, I downed beets and rushed to my laptop...

The recipe is courtesy of The Vegetarian Society who tweeted it as being ideal for a summer BBQ. I have had to adapt it a little and so have copied their original and annotated with my comments.

 
Preparation notes

Makes 6 large burgers
Preparation time 10 minutes [um - took me quite a bit longer - see notes below]
Cooking time 30 minutes

Ingredients

1 onion, finely sliced
3 tbsp olive oil
1 beetroot, grated [I grated it finely]
1/2 courgette, grated [ditto to above]
100g vegan mince (if frozen, thaw first) [realised I hadn't taken any out of the freezer, thought I would defrost - but found I didn't actually have any! Ended up making up some dried soya mince with boiling water.]
1/2 pepper, finely sliced [I cut it into minute cubes as I don't like large pieces]
1 tsp mixed herbs [would normally use fresh but I wanted to use up some dried]
2 cloves garlic, crushed
30g sunflower seeds
150g kidney beans, lightly mashed [doing really well as I didn't have these either - used butter beans instead - worked out ok]
30g bread crumbs [didn't have any bread in but managed to find an old bag of crumbs at the very bottom of the freezer - ended up needing about twice this amount]
1/2 tsp paprika [misread and added 2 tsp - but it made it very tasty]
1 tsp hot chilli sauce [used 'bristol badass chilli sauce' (v hot) which poured out in about 3 tbsp!]
A splash of tabasco sauce [I still added this and worry about my masochistic tendencies]
1 tsp soy sauce
2 tbsp plain flour [ended up needing about 60g]
Salt and pepper, to taste

Method
 
1. Fry the onion in 1 tbsp of olive oil. [ok]
 
2. Place the grated beetroot and courgette onto paper towels and press out as much liquid as you can (this will prevent a soggy burger). [went all fancy and squeezed it in muslin - the 'wilting' Dave drank the resulting courgette and beet juice and said it was delicious!]
 
3. In a large bowl add the rest of the ingredients, except the oil, and season well. The mixture should be fairly dry and easy to press together into burger shapes. If it’s still a little wet add more flour. [I added the oil - ooops, yes did have to add more crumbs and more flour, I used wholemeal flour]

added more breadcrumbs & flour too

 
4. Place the burgers onto a tray lined with parchment paper and refrigerate for one hour. [forgot chilling time was required! but gave them a quick 5 minutes!]

looking disturbingly like raw mince!

 
5. Carefully place the burgers onto the barbecue grill and allow them to cook slowly on a gentle heat. Brush them with a little oil from time to time. [cooked in a frying pan - I think you would need to be very gentle with them on a grill]
 
6. Turn after 10 minutes and cook on the other side. [cooking these slowly is a good idea and it gave me time to contemplate the kitchen carnage that looked like I had been working with bloody meat!]
 
 



And here is my finished burger - ta-dah!
 
I served it with lashings of vegan garlic mayo
 



Judged against their photo??? What do you think??
 
 



Ah but why aka 'red white and blue', you may ask?

Well I have to admit that this burger is delicious (although you may want to add less chilli than I did...) BUT it took me considerably longer to make than the optimistically quoted 10 minutes prep time. We ate gone 9.30pm.
 
Red was the colour everywhere you turned in the kitchen, white were the onions, the buns and Dave's face as he nearly passed out from hunger... and my language throughout was blue.
It was a bugg*r of a burger alright.

So if you have a spare 2 hours and can be more organised and less distracted than me, make them!!

Enjoy :)


Chantal xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. Thank you for commenting.