Saturday 2 February 2013

Ecover - new look, same ethos?...

Well my first post of February (hurrah!) and I managed to achieve 12 in January (blimey I've impressed myself). The house is without plumbers for the first time in two weeks, the sun is out, the heating is on full blast (great timing) and all is well with the world. Or so I thought...

On the weekly trawl around Waitrose (actually I quite enjoy it because they give you free coffee if you get their loyalty card) low and behold a shock awaited me.

I usually use the brand 'Attitude' for cleaning products as its gentle, effective, ecologically OK and not tested on animals, but through poor housekeeping have run out and thought I would try Ecover. I've got to say that when I used Ecover in the past it didn't impress me much on its power to clean things but I persevered with using it on the grounds of it being a 'better' product for the environment / animals etc.
On checking the label there was no bunny symbol though - the one to reassure that the product and / or its ingredients are indeed not tested on animals. I checked all of the products and none of them had it.

I'm trying so hard to avoid products that have been tested on animals that I really didn't want to buy it without making sure so I asked a member of staff for help.

The great thing about the Exeter Waitrose that we go to is the staff - they are beyond excellent - I have never been to a supermarket like it. They are so happy to help and check things for you and they let you carry on shopping and come back to find you.

The lady there kindly phoned Ecover who reassured her that they NEVER test on animals and that in fact the symbol has been left off in error when the packaging was redesigned recently.
Oops, I bet someone in the design department is in trouble!

So - with a huge relief I bought what I needed.

So there you have it - and you're welcome!. I know this is the most scintillating blog post that you will ever have read. A day in the life of my shopping and label checking - its all rock n roll here you know.

Anyway, it means actually that perhaps one animal less has had to endure unbelievable suffering so that I could get my whites that little bit whiter. So perhaps that is quite rock n roll after all...


Have a great cruelty-free February.


Chantal xx













* * * UPDATE * * *

Have had a reply to my email to Ecover as follows:

Dear Chantal

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Ecover do not do any animal testing, nor do we commission anyone to do so on our behalf. Please find attached our company statement, which we hope will answer any questions you may have. We have recently made our cruelty free status official, and have been awarded the leaping bunny symbol from Cruelty Free International. Further information can be found here: http://www.the-splash.co.uk/articles/cruelty-free-products.

We hope this information has been useful to you.

Kind Regards

Sarah Kiely

ECOVER UK Customer Service
Tel: 08451 30 22 30

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. Thank you for commenting.