Sunday 24 March 2013

Want to be Vegetarian / Vegan? - You'll be in good company...

When you start to consider a vegetarian lifestyle it's almost automatic that your interest in all things food and animal will result in a certain amount of Internet research. It's the place we all go to nowadays to find out more isn't it?
In my quest for knowledge (well it is power after all) and to rid myself of the indoctrination of popular culture I research a lot and I keep coming across well known people who are either vegetarian or vegan time and time again. And when I say well known - I mean people who have made a significant impact on history, people often renowned for their intelligence and accomplishments, people who have been at the forefront of human thinking and invention, people who have changed the world, people who have been considered ahead of their time.
This has been a shock to me.
I don't remember ever learning about any of these people at school and hearing that they were vegetarian / vegan. It's a fact that is little known about them and yet once you know it - and hear what they have to say about the issue, its completely unsurprising.

I don't know when our culture of meat eating began or why - I do know that it's perpetuated now for the sake of big business - certainly for no other reason. Humans don't need to consume other animals. These revered people knew it.

Here are just some of the people and some of their thoughts.
Please feel free to add any that you come across.



Leonardo di Vinci
‘The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men.’
'It is my view that the vegetarian manner of living, by its purely physical effect on the human temperament, would most beneficially influence the lot of mankind.'

Charles Darwin (1809-1882)
‘The love for all living creatures is the most notable attribute of man.’

George Bernard Shaw – 1856-1950 Nobel Prize winner
‘A man of my spiritual intensity does not eat corpses.’
‘I do not want to make my stomach a graveyard for dead animals.’

 Mahatma Ghandi
‘There are many causes for which I would die but there are no causes for which I would kill.’

Leo Tolstoy
'A human can be healthy without killing animals for food. Therefore, if he eats meat, he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite. And to act so is immoral.'

Pythagoras
'As long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seeds of murder and pain cannot reap the joy of love.'


Who else might you know who's vegetarian / vegan? Find out here:








Chantal Denny-Harrow [blogger, vegetarian since 01.01.12 embracing veganism since 08.03.13]


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. Thank you for commenting.