Thursday 11 April 2013

Evolution... what's MY vegan story?

Evolution.

For some people – switching to a veggie or vegan diet / lifestyle is something that they achieve pretty much overnight.  And if you are an ‘all or nothing’ character this may well be the best way for you.
For me, however, (a person who likes to learn things for themselves and consider all the evidence), it was a little different. When I look back now I see a gradual awakening that saw me progressing through a 5 year evolution from meatie to veggie to vegan - where I am now.

SO how did it all start? Well, I’ve always been a keen cook and taken an interest in what’s in my food, But my evolution started when I met my husband and I needed to cook more healthily in order to help him manage his type 2 diabetes.

I read labels incessantly and learned very quickly that most types of manufactured / processed foods were laden with a whole host of alien ingredients that we simply didn’t want to consume. So I began cooking even more meals from scratch using simple fresh ingredients. At the same time I became increasingly aware of the widespread use of drugs and pesticides in food manufacture and decided to eat (as far as I could) only organically produced foods (meat, fish and vegetables).

To this end we even moved out of our beloved city centre apartment so that I could have a garden and start growing our own vegetables – which I did with an unexpected passion – up to 120 varieties of vegetables, salads, herbs and fruits each year! Anyone who has grown their own produce will know that it really does taste difference and picking something and eating it 5 minutes later simply can’t be beaten! 

We also decided to keep some chickens and came across the BHWT from whom we rescued 4 ex-battery hens. We loved (and still love) looking after them and enabling them to have a chance at a happier life. It was at this time that we decided to join in with the Meat Free Monday ethos and although not always on a Monday, we did, for 1 and sometimes 2 or 3 days a week, refrain from eating meat and fish. We loved it.

But when my best friend of 33 years was diagnosed with and succumbed to an aggressive cancer – all our lives changed even more. We both frantically researched, looking for answers as to why this had happened and how she could be helped through a change in diet. In my ensuing grief and anger I became even more driven to uncover the truth about our food production. I also resumed my MSc in Health Science. Sally had read the ‘China Study’ and had given up beef and dairy and this became a starting point for me delving deeper into the nature of meat production. 

It was whilst looking into meat production methods and understanding more about where animals (such as our ex-bat chickens) had come from and what they go through, that the issue of animal welfare started to become a key issue for me. The more research I did, the more video footage of horrific farm abuses I saw and the more time I spent with my own intelligent animals, I just knew that Ino longer wanted to eat meat or fish. I could no longer contribute to an industry that was based on pain, suffering, exploitation and ultimately killing.

I was nervous about telling my husband Dave – but I shouldn’t have been. He had listened to me recounting info and stories about food production and animals every day and was totally unsurprised by my decision and wanted to become vegetarian with me. So at the end of 2011 we made the switch.
I knew instantly that we’d done the right thing. I worried that the transition might be tough – what about foods like bacon? All meaties love bacon right?!... So we tried the plethora of meat substitutes that are on the market and this did ease the transition to the stage where I used them for convenience occasionally, but not through necessity.  Instead I found that my recipe repertoire expanded so quickly that I didn’t need to use faux meats.

But looking back on 2012, something was still niggling me. I loved being vegetarian – I didn’t find it difficult at all. I didn’t miss meat one bit because I had so many new foods to try it was absolutely liberating! Still in the back of my mind I knew I wanted to do more.

By this stage I had changed all of our household products and personal toiletries from not only organic but to eco friendly, containing no animal-derived ingredients and never tested on animals. I vowed never to buy any leather products, feather filled products, wool, silk or fur ever again.
Still there was something niggling. 

I was continuing to do research into animal welfare issues whilst ‘armchair’ campaigning. I re-homed 2 dogs who became our absolute best friends and I sought out work in an animal sanctuary / rescue environment (I’m now a QVT at the Donkey Sanctuary).
Then 2 things happened. I saw a video called a ‘calf and a half’ about milk production at one of Cadbury’s dairy farms and I watched a lecture by Gary Yourofsky. After that every time I poured milk into my coffee I felt guilty. Every time I ate cheese – it no longer seemed to taste as good – and this was weird because David and I had been those very people you hear say ‘oooh I can be vegetarian but I couldn’t give up cheese!!’ and every time I saw an egg, Gary’s words ‘hen period’ (you need to watch the video) rang in my ears.

That was it. 
For these, and for so many other reasons, I knew that I needed to follow a vegan diet AND a vegan lifestyle. So this year (2013) that’s what we did. And as the headlines about horsemeat and health risks of eating dairy etc etc kept pouring in – we felt that we’d made the best decision – possibly of our lives.

Hand on heart , I felt an actual sense of relief the day I became vegan.

Some of that relief I believe, comes from an innate ‘knowing’ (that I’m sure all humans have deep down), that using and eating other species, is, quite simply, morally wrong.
It is wrong because it isn’t necessary for our survival (in most ways it’s detrimental to our survival) and it inflicts unimaginable suffering and pain on our fellow species - who can think, feel and hurt, just as we do. ALL species have the absolute right to live a peaceful existence on this planet.

Becoming vegan made me feel like saying a million clichés – the penny had dropped, the cloud had lifted etc etc. and this is something that you hear repeatedly when others share their story of how they too became vegan.

I do wish I had done it years ago and I also wish I had done it more quickly. But, I also know that, for me, this gradual evolution has taken me to a point where, no matter what, I will categorically never revert. 

But like I said at the beginning of this piece, if you have a mind to, then going from meatie to vegan overnight CAN be done. Just jump right in and ask the questions later – you won’t be disappointed, because I can assure you that the positive physical and emotional impact will be immediate. 
It will be the best, and most important life change you ever make.

Chantal xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. Thank you for commenting.